New Features in Adobe Premiere Pro (Oct. 2021)
Last week, as part of Adobe MAX, Adobe released a flock of new features and improvements to Premiere Pro. Here’s a summary of what’s new.
NOTE: Here’s Adobe’s announcement of all the news released at Adobe MAX, including upcoming beta features.
Version numbers are now standardized between all audio and video apps. With this release, all apps are at version 22.
Speech to Text improvements include:
- Timecode now exports, along with speaker names, when creating text files of transcripts.
- CSV files can now be created from transcripts
- Improved transcription accuracy for pop culture terminology and better formatting of dates and numbers.
- New option to export captions as sidecar files only.
(Click to view larger image. All images courtesy of Adobe Systems, Inc.)
Simplify Sequence allows you to remove empty tracks, disable clips with specific labels, and remove markers, or other user-specified elements. This is especially useful when exporting sequences as EDL, XML, or AAF; or for sharing sequences between editors.
NOTE: Here’s an article that explains how this feature works.
HEVC and H.264 now have color management
- Premiere Pro interprets the correct color space when importing these formats, including 10-bit and HDR files. For exports, Premiere Pro includes the correct color space metadata with your output files, ensuring that your colors will display correctly on the destination platform.
- When creating new sequences, you can choose to Match Source or apply the color space you want to use, depending on your working media.
- 10-bit HEVC playback is now hardware accelerated on M1 Macs and Windows.
- 10-bit H.264 playback is now hardware-accelerated on M1 Macs.
Lumetri Color improvements include:
- The Histogram is improved with a brighter, crisper display.
- The Lumetri Curve interface is bigger, allowing easier curve adjustment.
- The Vectorscope now displays image components in color.
NOTE: Double-click the Vectorscope for a 2x zoom in or out.
Accidentally de-selected edit points can be reselected using the Restore Trim option.
NOTE: This exists as a keyboard shortcut, though no key is assigned to it by default. To set it, open keyboard shortcuts and search for “Restore”. This setting is not part of the History panel.
Here’s the complete list of changes in Premiere Pro.
Bookmark the permalink
NEW & Updated!
Edit smarter with Larry’s latest training, all available in our store.
Access over 1,900 on-demand video editing courses. Become a member of our Video Training Library today!
Subscribe to Larry's FREE weekly newsletter and save 10%
on your first purchase.
2 Responses to New Features in Adobe Premiere Pro (Oct. 2021)
There’s another useful improvement in Speech to Text to note. When you export the transcript to a text file, the timecode numbers now come along for the ride. That was a wish come true for me.
This is a great comment. I dinged Adobe for omitting this when I reviewed Speech-to-Text earlier. I am very glad they added it with this release. I’ll update my review for next week’s newsletter.