FCP 7: Chroma-key Cookbook
[ In my Final Cut Pro 7 classes, I often provide single-page “Cookbooks” to help master a common problem. Here are the instructions I provide on creating a chroma-key (or green-screen key) in Final Cut Pro 7. ]
CREATE A KEY
FCP 7 now includes the Primatte RT filter – which is a powerful keyer for most common keying applications. For keys with translucent gauzes, see-through objects like water in a glass, or cast shadows, the use of a third-party keyer is advised.
- In Final Cut Pro, put the background clip in the Timeline on V1 and the foreground (green-screen) clip on V2. Put your playhead on top of the two clips and select the V2 clip.
- Apply Effects > Video Filters > Key > Primatte RT and double-click the clip to load it into the Viewer, click the Filters tab.
- In the Filters tab set the top popup to Foreground, then use the eyedropper to select a representative color of your chroma-key background to select the color you want to remove. Click the background near the face, but avoid hair and skin.
- The goal of a clean key is to make the foreground solid white and the background solid black. In the Filters tab set the top popup to Matte.
- In the Filters tab slide the Noise Reduction slider to 0.
- In the Filters tab slide the Matte Density slider slowly to the left until the foreground you want to retain goes solid white, indicating foreground opacity. Watch to be sure all shadows in the body are solid white.
- In the Filters tab slide the Noise Reduction slider slowly to the right until the background you want to make transparent goes solid black, indicating a transparent background. The value of this slider is always less than the Matte Density slider.
- In the Filters tab set the top popup to Processed Foreground.
- In the Filters tab adjust Spill Suppression until the color of the foreground clip looks normal. Use the Vectorscope to accurately set skin tones.
Click here for an illustrated article on chroma-key in FCP 7.
Click here for a video tutorial on chroma-key in Final Cut Pro 7.
Bookmark the permalink
NEW & Updated!
Edit smarter with Larry’s latest training, all available in our store.
Access over 1,900 on-demand video editing courses. Become a member of our Video Training Library today!
Subscribe to Larry's FREE weekly newsletter and save 10%
on your first purchase.