The Craft of Editing
AN INSIDE LOOK AT THE CREATIVE PROCESS
SPECIAL BONUS: Includes Training Media!
Available as a collection of downloads, this contains Larry Jordan’s brand-new The Craft of Editing training series.
- Five QuickTime training movies
- Plus, 12 GB of sample media files you can use to follow along with the exercises
- Running time: About four hours (excluding sample media)
- Requires download of four separate ZIP files
NOTE: Each download file is about 4 GB in size, so be sure to allow time for the download to complete.
This training grew out of a series of classes I created for the Alaska Society for Technology in Education (ASTE). It is designed for video editors who may understand editing technology, but want help improving their creative or story-telling skills.
Watch over my shoulder as I show you how I edit. I’ll explain what I do first and why. How I look at shots and determine the best shot selection. This is more than just an academic exercise, I’m actually editing sequences and explaining the process and philosophy behind my edit. (For more details, check out the Table of Contents at the bottom of this page.)
Let me explain what this training is about:
There are four movies in this set, plus a bonus movie:
Movie 1: Pre-production and production planning
Movie 2: Editing interviews, news and montages
Movie 3: Editing a dramatic scene
Movie 4: Music and multicam editing
BONUS MOVIE: Timing is Everything
There is no finer editing training available anywhere.
SPECIAL BONUS! For the first time, we are including most of the footage used in this training. 70 different clips from seven different filmmakers. Use these files to practice the techniques illustrated in these lessons. Because the media files take almost 12 GB of space, they are divided into three separate downloads. These downloads are optional and not required for the training itself. You will find the links to download these media files on the same page in my store as this training.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
THE CRAFT OF EDITING
ORIENTATION – THINKING ABOUT STORY
- What is a story?
- Editing goals
- Where, or when, does a story start?
- Shot order makes a difference
- Set pacing based upon speaking patterns
- When to cut reaction shots
THE CRAFT OF EDITING – PLANNING – MOVIE 01
- Series Welcome
- Pre-production planning
- Understanding camera placement
THE CRAFT OF EDITING – INTERVIEWS – MOVIE 02
- Larry’s process for editing a story
- How to record voice overs
- How to edit an interview
- How to edit a news story
- How to edit a visual montage
THE CRAFT OF EDITING – DRAMA – MOVIE 03
- Drama is about change and emotion
- Learn the “Seven Basic Plots” of a story
- Examine how a plot is structured
- Learn when and how to use narration
- Discover how shot order makes a difference
- Create two dramatic scenes – one simple and one complex
THE CRAFT OF EDITING – PERFORMANCE – MOVIE 04
- Explaining multicam editing
- Edit a dance multicam scene
- Edit a dramatic multicam scene
- Edit a music video multicam scene